Sunday 12 February 2012

Student Perspective by Toyosi Adeyemi


Recently Toyosi carried out her work experience attachment. Something that we value greatly at Oxbridge and that we feel gives our students valuable insight into their chosen paths. I'll be posting a handful of Student Perspectives on this topic this week. For today here's Toyosi's experience:

My internship experience at Lagos Television was one of a kind.  The world of media is always awake, even when no one is!  

At the time of my internship, there were protests over the removal of the fuel subsidy by the Federal government, so I would say it was a good time to work at a TV station.  I was posted to the news department.  On the first day, I went out with a reporter; on our way back to the studio, we had to hide our belongings and duck down in the car because of protesters.  This made me realize how dangerous the life of an individual working with the media could be.
It was only one week, but I learned in that week what one could learn in a month.   I saw how news was reported, edited, written, scripted, produced and casted.   It was interesting to see how the news was posted on the internet, and peoples’ reactions.  The most interesting aspect was how all the information was collected in one day, and then broadcast on T.V… all in less than eighteen hours!  It was amazing!  It simply showed that , to work with media, efficiency, speed, alertness are essential to be productive and successful.

Another thing that amazed me was the fact that everybody knew everybody at the studio, well, except maybe a few interns (like me) and some corps members who were assigned to work there.  When I went around, greeting and smiling at people was inevitable.  Everyone seemed to possess a sense of humour, which obviously made their work easier.  It was all smiles and comfort; there was little or no form of work tension.  Well, let's just say I didn’t notice any ;-)

In the end, I was happy with my experience.  It was an exciting and enlightening episode.  It gave me a hint of what working with the media would be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment