Sunday 22 April 2012

My Greatest Fear

Fear is an unpleasant, often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger. Fear is something that everyone has to deal with. FEAR, some motivational gurus have made an acronym out as, False Evidence Appearing Real. Some live lives devoid of joy, happiness, and pleasure, but not one escapes the experience of fear and fear’s companion, pain. We are born in fear and pain. Our lives are profoundly shaped by it; it is an utterly unavoidable emotion. The extent and range of fears varies from person to person, but the emotion is the same. Everyone has his fears and has to face the challenge of overcoming those fears.

At different stages in life, one is faced with different fears. The moment you overcome one, another comes up. This article is about my present and greatest fear, the fear of university life. University has been something I always dreamt about and knowing my dream is about to become a reality is something I should be happy about. To be honest, I’m very happy that I’m going to university, but the fear of university life still remains in me.

I never thought there would be a time when I would make crucial decisions all by myself, but then I know at the university I will be left with no option but to make these decisions. This is something I have always avoided and knowing that there would be no way I could avoid taking decisions, makes me shiver. Well it’s not just about taking decisions, it’s about taking the right decision that would be beneficial to me.

Taking decisions isn’t my only fear. Being far from my parents is worth a thought. Although I’m not the type of person who sucks up to mum and dad. Surprisingly, I have lived away from my parents for almost six years (when I say "away", I mean in the same country and state). Sadly my proposed university is nowhere near my country or my state, so I will be very far away from my parents for four years.

To conclude I believe fears can always be overcome and with the help of God I will overcome my fears and have a smooth university life.

Adeola Salami

 

No comments:

Post a Comment