Monday 14 May 2012

University Education, A visa to a new me! By Enioluwafe ODENIYI


Ever since I was little, I have always seen university as a far away dream. It is somewhat surreal, but equally exciting, that in a matter of months this ‘distant dream’ will become a reality. This is the beginning of independence like I have never had before, where I begin to discover what it truly means to live and be in control of my life.

Everything that has preceded this can be seen as foreplay. The endless guidance, instructions, lessons and rules I know will be helpful. However, the time has come to let me live it. I often feel smothered and restricted. I anticipate the liberty to make my own decisions and to pursue my ambitions as I deem fit. I believe that university will open the door to freedom which in turn will create room for self discovery.

Starting university, especially in a totally new environment in which I am a stranger, may be scary, but it also creates the opportunity to reinvent myself. It will be easy to create a new reputation, since I am starting afresh amongst new people who have no judgments and expectations of me. This is a chance to create a new image and to be the person I have always wanted to be- a leader.

Like every other new chapter in life, my going to the university comes with its fears. Being in an entirely new country with a whole different culture may be hard to adapt to. Making new friends and learning how to relate with them, with their entirely different backgrounds could be quite challenging and somewhat intimidating. Feeling out of place seems to be my biggest fear as my mannerism and the good humour I presently think I have may not be understood. However, as with all other changes in life, one must learn to adapt.

University is where my life as an adult truly begins. Being an adult means I have to take responsibility for all my actions and decisions. I have the opportunity to be the person I am meant to be. There are many aspects of life left undiscovered due to the restrictions I have had. However, I see the start of university as the beginning of a world unknown.













Enioluwafe ODENIYI
OxPress

No comments:

Post a Comment